Being efficient had
disadvantages. Miles had finished passing out the afternoon mail,
finished his little stack of projects, and now was trying to fill the
rest of the work day. He had added several new paper airplanes to his
already large collection. He'd been at it for almost half an hour. He
didn't know how he'd survive when they hired a new person to take
over mail duty.
That day had been
particularly dull. Meetings consisted of him doodling on his note
pad, only paying attention when Nory Wilson gave her opinion about
the projects. He tossed a paper airplane at the pin up target across
from him. It missed, and fell into the waist basket along with the
others. Reflected his life. He wasn't like Nory. She always had
projects handed to her, and she could make them work. All he could
do was pass out mail and fix the water cooler. And make paper
airplanes. He could do those projects, but everyone seemed happy to
keep him doing the odd job, which left lots of free time. Someone
like Nory would never be demoted to mail carrier. She'd probably be
amazing at that, as she was with everything else.
Miles absently
ripped a page out of his note book. Nory had been hired about the
same time he had, but was already getting the big name design deals.
His fingers folded the paper instinctively into a triangle. Nory was
a no nonsenses type of girl and got things done. He creased a wing,
folding the wing perfectly along a lone sketch he'd made during the
meeting. Behind her intimidating expression and behavior was a fair
person who managed to get along well with most people in the
business. Miles stared blankly at the new paper-plane he held. It was
a side profile doodle of Nory, in one of her thoughtful stares. She'd
probably make director of the agency one day. If he wasn't in love
with her, he'd probably be jealous.
Frustrated, he
tossed the paper plane into the air. Soon as it was airborne he
realized his mistake. Making planes at work was one thing. Flying
them in the work place was another. If he was caught, he might get
worse than mail duty.
The yellow note
paper looped twice before diapering over the cubicle wall. His heart
jumped to his throat.
That was Nory's
cubicle.
He raced to the
doorway. Maybe she wasn't in. Maybe she . . .
He rounded the
corner and froze. Not only was she sitting there but his airplane was
sitting on top of her head, next to the rose ordainment she always
had were her ponytail. She sat ridged in her chair, apparently
stunned. Slowly her hand went to her head and lifted the small
projectile down. To his horror, Miles remembered the small sketch on
the wing was a doodle of her. She stared down at the paper, then
turned in her chair to face him.
Of all the
situations he'd imagined of for a first encounter with her this
wasn't one of them. Her dark brown eyes seemed menacing as she looked
him over.
He needed to say
something. Anything. “Uh, that's mine.”
She pointed at the
image of her face. “This too?”
“Yes, I mean, No!
you're not mine, though I’d like it. I mean yes, that's drawing of
you. Not that I’m a creeper.” he stopped, face burning. “Yes
that's my work.”
She nodded. “you're
good, Conners. Though I don't appreciate ideas dive bombing my hair
while I’m working.”
“I'm really sorry
about that.” he held out his hand. “I'll get that out of your
way.”
“Mind if I keep
it?”
He must has
misheard her. First she knew his name and now she wanted his art.
This had be a side affect of boredom. He must be hallucinating.
She suddenly turned
red. “I mean, I should confiscate it, but it would be a waist. Not
that I’m saying it's a waist.”
They both stared at
each other, faces equally red. Then he smiled. “Sure, It's your
anyway, finders keepers and all.”
The corner of her
mouth twitched. “Thanks, Conners.”
He waved and walked
back to his cubicle. Not the beginning he'd expected, but not too bad
either. Picking one of the older planes out of the pile, he
straightened the nose and tossed it at the target. It barely hit the
bulls-eye. Being bored was not so bad after all.
That was funny! I wasn't expecting the ending. Very good.
ReplyDeleteAwwww :) cute!
ReplyDeleteThank you. Happy you enjoyed it :)
Delete