Monday, September 22, 2014

Confessions Under The Sunset

It was getting late, but Brenden didn't notice. Another date had gone come and gone, and had turned into another disaster. His brother's words came back. "Dating is where girls find husbands, not the guys." that was apparent. He'd gone out with several girls, and all had ended with some other guy getting a girlfriend. He had to be doing something wrong or he was fighting too hard.
He partially noticed the darkening sky. He should turn back, but he didn't. Everything in Bountiful connects eventually, Desi had said. Speaking of which there she was sitting on the cement retaining wall on the side of the side walk. Brenden stopped. If he turned back right now she wouldn't see him. Then again she probably already saw him. He didn't have much reputation stalk left to lose. Still, he wasn't much for socializing right now. His left foot slid back. Besides she looked angry and getting yelled at the last thing he wanted.
He paused in his reiterate. She wasn't exactly angry. Glaring, yes, but it wasn't as murderous as some other girls he'd seen. He took a few steps forward. It was none of his business, but what the heck he didn't have where else to be.
"Hey."
She looked up and he started back as the narrowed eyes turned on him. Maybe this was a mistake. Then her face turned to flushed surprised. "Oh, hey Brenden."
"You ok?" it was as stupid question, but he couldn't think of anything else to say.
"Yeah." she hastily ran fingers across across her face as if checking for stray tears. "Are you alright?"
He looked away over the valley below. "Yeah, just enjoying the sunset."
It wasn't a completely lie. The storm clouds were threatening to smother the sun and in retaliation it was shooting out colored beams back towards them in vivid pinks and yellows. The water of Great Salt Lake acted as a mirror, reflecting the light back to sky in its own battle against the darkness. Brenden frowned. He must been editing too many poetry pieces in the writing lab. He was starting to think in imagery.
Desi smiled at the sky too. "It is beautiful."
They sat there in silence. Maybe this was all that was needed to cheer her up.
"So what is wrong?" She was still facing the valley below, but she watched him closely.
"Does something have to be wrong?"
"Come on Bren. Don't pussy around it." she faced him fully now. "We're both out on a Saturday night by ourselves."
"Sounds normal to me."
"Shut it." she folded her arms.
He sighed, sitting on the bench. "Ladies first. What’s up?"
She glowered some more at a crack in the sidewalk which seemed to be offending her in some way. "I have the suspicion that where ever I step a giant whole marked “love” opens up and people keep falling into it."
This made no sense. "Sorry?"
"No matter how hard i try to date, the guy I like always gets engaged to someone else. My only purpose is to get the rest of the world married. And what are you grinning about!"
Brenden hadn't realized he'd started giggling. "Sorry, It's just I didn't think my condition had a name."
Annoyance turned to confusion. "What?"
His turn to look at the ground, his smile slipping until it became thoughtful. "I was just told by a girl it would never work out. She's hanging out with my neighbor tonight."
"How long did you know her?"
"Two hours."
She winced. "Yikes."
He nodded. "At least i can set records. Knowing my luck, though, I'm sure there's someone who's Already clipped my time."
Desi didn't say anything. Then she straightened, raising her hands so they were pointed at him. She started flicking them at her, a motion similar to flicking paint off a paintbrush.
"What are you doing?"
"Sending some of you my bad luck. Maybe it will cancel it out."
He started laughing. He grabbed her hands, forcing her to stop. "Thanks, Desi, but if you get rid of it I won't have anything at all."
She stopped struggling. "That doesn't seem like a great alternative."
He shrugged. "I'm getting used to it. I wouldn't know how to deal with being liked."
Desi paused, then one of her hands freed themselves from his grasp and smacked him lightly on the back of his head.
"Hey. What was that for?"
"I don't like hearing negative things from my friends. Just because not one wants to dates us doesn't me we're not awesome"
They stared at each other for a long time. Suddenly his lips curled up into a half smile. "Ever considering taking your own advice?"
Her face went a deeper shade of pink, and her expression was a mix of angry and embarrassed. She turned away. "I should smack you again."
He didn't push it. He’d seen her get truly mad before. "How about this. We'll be each other's good luck charm."
"What?"
"We get other people married, why can't we help each other out?"
She continued to watch the sunset, the last fight of the light to remain in the face of the darkness. "That sounds so simple it might actually work."
"I aim to please." He did feel better, or at least life didn't seem so dark. "Mind if I walk you home?" She gave him a look and he felt his face redden. “I mean it's going to be dark soon and I though maybe you'd like to." he slumped. "I should stop talking."
"Maybe." she stood up. "I'd be happy to walk with you."
He stood too. "So you can expose me to more of your luck?"
She made a face. "Please don't tell anyone I did that. They already think I'm crazy."
"Took them long enough." he ducked, but still managed to get hit in the shoulder. They’re combined laughter faded along with the light in the distance.

1 comment:

  1. "I have the suspicion that where ever I step a giant whole marked “love” opens up and people keep falling into it."
    This made me laugh! I like their teamwork. Hopefully the bad luck will cancel out.

    ReplyDelete